internet'able home thermostat, etc., rec?

Looking for suggestions for a basic thermostat/internet interface. Basically we'd like to check the home temperature from afar and do the usuals.

For example, if we're out all day we'd normally let the temperature drop and then come back up for our return at six pm.

But if we wind up being away overnight, we'd like to reset the thermostat (remotely) to keep the heat to minimum until a few hours before our new ETA.

(and vice versa if we're coming home earlier than expected).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...
?

Danny,

I'm currently doing just that so I can turn up the heat in our vacation home in NY before we leave CT.

I'm using a CAI Networks Webcontrol, which is a mini web server. I modified a Honeywell Heat/Cool thermostat, and with a solid state relay, driven from the Webcontrol, I can change the thermostat from the cold to warm position. I wrote a windows program to monitor the temps and turn on the heat and hot water. The program can be run from a memory stick. There is a manual interface to the server so you can do the above without the program with a few mouse clicks, but the temperature is in Celsius. The only problem is that some Internet providers block port 80 communications.

Here's the link:

formatting link
If you need any more info, let me know.

John

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5625 (20101116) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

formatting link

Reply to
John Simpson

Thanks. that's pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.