Insteon vs UPB for a high end X10 retrofit

Hello:

I'm about to buy some new higher end switches, and wanted to go with Insteon but I'm also looking at UPB.

I've got a box of about 15 X10 switches, 3 ways, IR sensors, motion detectors, etc. but only about 4 switches wired in the house. Realistically, I could chuck it all and go with something new, and just use the old switches in out of the way places, especially if I go with Insteon.

I like the way a keypad with UPB can become an in wall controller but I like the X10 compatibility of Insteon.

I really, really like the 'tap the top for on' switches. I got the impression Insteon works that way, but with UPB it looks like it would but I haven't seen this addressed for sure.

Does UPB have a 'tap the top for on' 'tap the bottom for off' true rocker action?

Both require a neutral wire, correct?

Has anyone seen a real live Insteon module? So far all the reviews I've seen are regurgitations of the press releases.

Any thoughts?

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner
Loading thread data ...

I'll answer my own question with the UPB, they are true rockers. (I didn't see this on the smarthome site but the manufacturers site clearly mentions it).

Apparently so too.

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

I have not got my hands on Insteon, yet.

UPB does require a neutral.

The Simply Automated Switches (UPB) are beautiful switches. I have preferred Leviton in the past, but SA has surpassed the pleasure of Leviton.. I like the feel of the SA UPB switches, the on and off are more tactile giving better feedback. I have not heard of UPB issues yet. I know Insteon has X-10 compatibility, but no HA controller to my knowledge supports the technology (except via X-10) UPB has 5 years in install time,

18 months of retail installs.
Reply to
Brett Griffin

I do have both UPB and Insteon switches (we're on the beta team) installed here. They are both nice feeling switches and work quite well. I personally like having the light bar like the Insteaon switches have.

Yes, they both require a neutral wire.

Martin Custer

formatting link

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

UPB is much better then SmartHome.

I wouldn't waste my time with the smarthome switches.

Contact me if your interested in a package deal.

Reply to
Brian

Much better? More like "sucks less". Powerline stuff stinks, some less than others.

Reply to
wkearney99

Yes I have to agree Most of the time

UPB & Lightolier are the exceptions

Reply to
Brian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.