How to turn on a computer remotely using X10 type devices

Hi

I would like to hide my computer and be able to turn it on remotely. I have X10 remotes and would like to know if anyone has been able to interface somthing so computer can be turned on remotely (in the same room).

Computer will be in wall unit with TV and be used as a media center computer.

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
Martin Hirsch
Loading thread data ...

are youplanning to connect computer to your home network? If so... I would investigate "W-O-L" (wakeup on Lan option)

AP

Reply to
AP

Yes, wireless network. I don't want to have to go into another room to send a signal to the computer I'm trying to use. Note that computer is going to be behind flat screen TV and not easily accessable.

Reply to
Martin Hirsch

It all depends if you computer starts when power at the plug is applied, if it does, this shouldn't be a big deal.

A X10 appliance module will disconnect power to the computer when switched off by the remote, but you will need to do a proper "Windows" shutdown first.

Could forcing a "Stand-by" or "Hybernate" from the keyboard be an alternative(?).

Reply to
D&SW

You just have to know the tension output of the contact to your pc button an put a relay there actuated by a x10 relay, and you should be ok.

Reply to
Konnexman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.