How to measure the temperature in a distant room?

How far away is the room? Is there a PC in that room, connected to the local machine (a LAN, for example)?

Reply to
AZ Woody
Loading thread data ...

You could do something like hooking up a 1-wire (Dallas) Serial or USB adapter ($20) to the remote PC, and something like a DS18s20 (one or more - $3 each) to monitor the temp(s).

Some code would need to be written to collect the temp(s) and provide it in the manor required.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Reply to
Torsten Brasch

Any suggestions on how to learn the temperature in a distant room? A webcam pointing at a thermometer is the best I've managed so far. Any solutions which can be read on Homeseer's web server would be preferred.

Thanks.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Anthony R. Gold ( snipped-for-privacy@ahjg.co.uk) wrote: : Any suggestions on how to learn the temperature in a distant room? A : webcam pointing at a thermometer is the best I've managed so far. Any : solutions which can be read on Homeseer's web server would be preferred.

Look for the Web-IO Thermometer at

formatting link

Oskar

-- Oskar Schoepf snipped-for-privacy@wu-wien.ac.at EDP-Center Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration Augasse 2-6, A-1090 Vienna, Austria Phone: +43 (1) 31 336 x4110 Fax: x702

Reply to
Oskar Schoepf

One is 35 miles away and another over 3,000 miles away.

There are LANs in the distant rooms which are connected to the Internet.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Thanks, I will look there.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

If it was really being sold as a working appliance then a price comparison would be meaningful. Seven months ago the author said he was planning to make a PCB.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

And Torsten found something similar using DS1621, but I'm really looking for any solution which uses off-the-shelf hardware and software.

Aye, there's the rub. SMOP = small matter of programming :-)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Not sure what computer hardware you are starting from, but I hope this may be useful.

Some motherboards (e.g. Soltek SL-75DRV2) come with a temperature sensor on a cable, designed for measuring the temperature of hard disk drives, etc. If you place this away from heat generating components, close to an air intake, you will be able to measure ambient.

With windows, use Motherboard Monitor[1], and some of the plugins/extensions such as MBM-Network Host Monitor and MBMTemp, and away you go, with no extra hardware to purchase/install.

With Linux, use lm_sensors, and a quick bit of shell scripting, possibly using "sensord -g".

[1]
formatting link
Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

expensive.

comparison

Looks like it's been longer than that. July 2003 seems to be the last update.

This project looks ok, but the 1-wire devices would have allowed for far more than 8 sensors on the bus. Of course implementing 1-wire protocol to search the bus is a "bit" more complicated than addressing a few I2C devices. Also, the I2C bus wasn't designed to be dozens of meters long or arranged in a star pattern which would be desirable for this application. Perhaps that is why he didn't proceed with the project.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Oskar Schoepf ( snipped-for-privacy@isis.wu-wien.ac.at) wrote: : Anthony R. Gold ( snipped-for-privacy@ahjg.co.uk) wrote: : : Any suggestions on how to learn the temperature in a distant room? A : : webcam pointing at a thermometer is the best I've managed so far. Any : : solutions which can be read on Homeseer's web server would be preferred.

: Look for the Web-IO Thermometer : at

formatting link

Another solution we use is a UPS from APC with a Network Management Card with Environmental Monitoring.

Both products (wut and apc) work out of the box.

Oskar

-- Oskar Schoepf snipped-for-privacy@wu-wien.ac.at EDP-Center Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration Augasse 2-6, A-1090 Vienna, Austria Phone: +43 (1) 31 336 x4110 Fax: x702

Reply to
Oskar Schoepf

appears to be a Lennox product

formatting link
I was interested because of my Harmony remote.

Reply to
SQLit

I just came upon the Harmony HTSK1 which looks promising:

formatting link
Does anyone here know anything good or bad about it?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

formatting link

I venture that's merely a coincidence of brand names but with no product relationship.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Good onya Cobber!

Thanks - that looks frugal enough but I don't have the time or the patience to do the assembly and calibration.

BTW, here is the status-quo which I'm trying to improve on:

formatting link
(Username:user Password:pass for next 24 hrs.)

which is not such a tough hurdle to beat :-)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

G'day there,

Might be a little simple for your needs, you could try this -

formatting link
Thre is a link for a PC Thermometer that plugs into your joystick port, and can upload the data to an FTP/Web server. I build the first version and it worked fine, and cost only a couple of dollars to build - and comparing it to another commercial made digital thermometer I had it was reasonably accurate after calibration.

Hope it is of use.

Reply to
Gary S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.