homeseer/ocelot

Anyone using this combination... Im looking at controlling some stuff around the home but I want something that will do digital i/o possibly some 4-20 ma sensors.... but I want to be able to access the system from work also...so I need something with a good gui and the ability to control from the web...but I also need something easy to use.

I have been trying to research on the web and the homeseer software with ocelot controller...and the secu 16 module for digital i/o seems to be what Im looking for....

I basically want something I can play with before implementing in my home....and I want something versatile.... easy to use but I would also like to write some programs for it......something easy to program....

what type of language does homeseer use...Ive read its a form of basic....

Is there good documentation with the products mentioned...setup, web access instructions etc... Im not familiar with tcp/ip and all that but from what I have read getting web access is fairly easy with homeseer..... also what additional costs are associated with web access...I looked at one product on the net and it required a monthly fee for accessing the home system via the web...

Any comments, help, info appreciated....

Reply to
cornytheclown
Loading thread data ...

I use HomeSeer with Ocelot. My old Time Commander system went belly up and I needed something that I could program. Ocelot worked OK until I discovered Homeseer.

With Homeseer, the Ocelot is too much. That is, I don't run any IR so I'm just using it as a very expensive interface. HS will use just about anything.

If I had it to do over again, I'd forget the Ocelot and just get a plugin interface.

BTW, Homeseer is pretty confusing at first but they have a great message board. Once you get into it, with scripts and events, it'll do damn near anything you want.

John

Reply to
Spectrum

Thanks for the info.... can you name another interface that will work with the homeseer software and allow digital and 4-20 ma connections. In all my searching I could only come up with the combination I have listed above...homeseer, ocelot, and secu-16..not sure on that number...i/o module for the ocelot. Any less expensive suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
cornytheclown

OK, there ya go. As I said, I don't use anything but X10 with mine.

4-20 sounds handy but I don't have any real app for it. What are you using it for?
Reply to
Spectrum

Reply to
Gemini

John, Any recommendation on a book I can get to explain the scripting? The Homeseer message board does not do a good job.

Thanks!

DAW

Reply to
D&SW

The scripting is just basic VBScript with some hs functions added. I've attached one as a txt file. You just put them into your \\scripts directory and can call them. I find them easier than setting a million events.

It's very confusing at first. HS Help has scripting functions but you really have to already know what you want. There is no tutorial on this. There are some good tutorials on VBScript. For a VBS reference I use

formatting link
the two I don't have a problem. Course I am a programmer.

The HS Message Board is very good. You can get most any question answered rapidly.

Reply to
Spectrum

begin 644 saythehour.txt M(TEN8VQU9&4@:6YC;'5D97,O9V5N

Reply to
Spectrum

Yeah, shame isn't it? They had a good thing going and really seem to have dropped the ball with the 2.0 version.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hi Bill,

What about version 2.0 is problematic? I haven't kept up to date with HS since we stopped buying from them (no problems with them or the product at the time; just different modes of operation).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.