Home Intercom Retrofit

I recently moved into a home with an old M&S Model 350 intercom. The Speakers all seem to work ok, but the master unit is in bad shape. It doesn't turn off the program/set time buttons do not work.

I found the DCM3-4 unit online as a retrofit replacement. This looks like it'll work, but everything I see regarding the installation indicates that I have to replace ALL the Speaker stations as well. After inspecing one of the speaker I'm puzzled as to why. The unit is extremely simple, the speaker with a switch to toggle between a speaker and mic setting.

Can anyone tell me why you would make the old speaker incompatible with the old system. Thanks

Reply to
sgreenstein
Loading thread data ...

That is correct. The old room station speakers are not compatible with the new DCM3-4 system.

It's just the way they designed the new system. A cynical person might be inclined to believe they just wanted to sell more new stations. I spoke to my M&S rep and he seems to think that's the reason, too. If you need help configuring a setup, feel free to contact me. I carry M&S though I haven't put all of the components online yet.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

True, M&S does use 45-Ohm speakers. 45-Ohm "speaker only" stations from the old system can be used with the new system. However, anything with "talk" / "listen" buttons will need to be replaced. I spoke with M&S tech support and they confirm this.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Reply to
Art Todesco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.