Door Bell Install Via Homerun Closet

the problem is not with the door bell current demand, but in case of failure of a connection or a short, you have to think about all the possibility, not just when all is ok..

Reply to
Petem
Loading thread data ...

nope its a mess in preparation.. a short can happen , and if does what protection does the OP have against a fire.. none

Reply to
Petem

allways trying to win an argument with lies.. poor sob..

what ever you say.. its all the same shit comming from you.

the OP talked that he was planning on using a key system but got back on his decision and now will use a doorbell... If i lack on writing skill, you do lack on reading and understanding..

ok now its 18, when it was 16... lies lies lies.. poor sob

why snip? cause it was the proof that i was right..

Again trying to pull over with half true.. not even worth replying.. tyhe OP no the facts i am sure he will react to it..

Uh, yup. there is.. your too dumb to see it..

Reply to
Petem

oops he goofed again.. he doent even know what he is talking about..

can you tell me whats the difference between a class 1 and a class 2 transfo?

Reply to
Petem

I advised him to put an inline fuse in there, but realistically a short will simply pop the secondary on the x-former.

There is not enough heat to generate a fire in your senario, even with a dead short. The current is too small to melt anything.

So....Let me ask you this: What about PoE? It is rated for about ~460mA, where's your concern for a fire there?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Okay, please explain your worse case scenario for me again in detail (and be sure to indicate why a fire may occur).

Reply to
G. Morgan

ok if its fused... but who put fuse on a doorbell? And the OP never talked about that.

and what about the transfo, is it a class 1 or a class 2, a class 2 transfo will pop open on the primary if the secondary get overloaded, but not a class 1, since the OP is a DIY he could easily go to a electronic surplus store and buy a class1 transfo, they are really cheap for 16 to 24 volt ... and a small 40 VA would do the job... now think 40 VA or 40 watt on a small

22 wire, yup we know he is supposed to use 4 not just one wire, but lets think about a catastrophic failure, were only one of the 4 wire is properly connected for what ever reason(could be rats or mice chewing the cable ect.).

this small wire will over heat quite fast if the cable get sorted somewhere in the wall (again from the rat) what do you think of this scenario? likely to happen.. likely not, could happen yes, code say that you should not used isolated wire to build up a gauge, its ok to use multiple tread of wire is a single wire, they all touch each other all along the cable so if one fail its connecting back a few micrometer after...But that's not the case in cat5e cable...

code have been made cause someone once said, its ok I will use multiple wire to provide power somewhere, all of them together can carry the current needed, but shit happen and some of the conductor failed then everything failed..

the gauge is supposed to be 16 he should use that.

see answer on top..

PoE is protected against overload, and they only use 2 wire........why do you think there is an overload protection? the max amp output is around 500 ma...how do you think they achieve this? by putting protection, cant have a fire there...

but do remember in the OP case we are talking about around 40 VA.. or 2.5 amp at 16 volt... its far from 500 mA at 5 volt, or 2.50 VA

one thing you should consider, with a small 1.5 volt battery one can solder a joint in a circuit.. with this:

formatting link
and there is the fact that a 40 watt iron can burn wood, again, simple logic should lead you to say that there is a probability, if some condition are there, for a catastrophic failure. that's why the code say 16 gauge in a single wire for doorbell...

Bass should be happy he now have friends hellping him, but still he wont win... ;-)

Reply to
petem

done in previous post...

but I can still explain it if you didnt understand, I'll wait for the answer at the other post...

Reply to
petem

I think the chances are about 1 in 10^100 that the wire will melt and cause enough heat. Besides, the OP asked if he could double up the pairs, I say yes. I'd do it in a heartbeat if that was the only way.

I think you're arguing just for the sake of your opinion of Robert, not an actual concern for safety.

The OP hasn't even responded back with the specifics of the bell.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The problem lies between your chair and keyboard.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.