Contact closure of 120V power outlet

Hey All

This is actually a lab automation question, but it seemed like this group has knowledgeable people, so here goes.

I have a device (a syringe pump) that runs on 120V. I want to be able to turn it on and off via a contact closure (on an HPLC) that can only handle ~1V. I really need to keep this a hard wired solution, so X10/wireless won't help. Also, I'm a biochemist and would probably burn down the lab with a soldering iron. So, is anyone aware of a commercial product that can control a 120V outlet that uses contact closures for control?

THanks for any help!

Reply to
dennis.benjamin
Loading thread data ...

You might consider a "solid state relay" which can be found on eBay.

Many of these operate by the application of 3 to 30 VDC on the input and they switch 120 / 240 on the output. These are optically isolated.

Thus, your relay would switch a small voltage, say 5 VDC to the solid state relay, which would in turn switch the 120 VAC.

I usually mount these in a metal electrical box to avoid any chance of contact with the 120 VAC.

Best wishes.

Peter H Anderson,

formatting link
PICs, BasicX, PICAXE Processors

Reply to
pha

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.