Certifying Cat-5 cable

This is the latest discussion so I guess I should start here... I'm wiring a building, and well, they want me to certify the cables. No problem, make them into a gig, but then I was like wait... If they are already terminated into jacks...

Sooo yea, one end is terminated into a jack and the other end into a switch board, is there anyway I can still test these cables for 1 gig in speed?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Jester
Loading thread data ...

To certify cables, you need a piece of equipment known as a 'certified' cable tester. It does a bunch of tests, and prints out a report.

I doubt that he "non jack" end is actually terminated directly into a switchboard (PBX). I'd believe a '110' type punch-down block. A good cable tester will have an adapter for 110-block terminations.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Hook them up and record error counts / total packets. Print it out and document.

----------

This is the latest discussion so I guess I should start here... I'm wiring a building, and well, they want me to certify the cables. No problem, make them into a gig, but then I was like wait... If they are already terminated into jacks...

Sooo yea, one end is terminated into a jack and the other end into a switch board, is there anyway I can still test these cables for 1 gig in speed?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Josepi

Is there anyway you can test them if they are not terminated? I really dont understand the question you have to be honest. If they are CAT 5 it is unlikely that you will be certifying them for a gig. what test are you planning to run on what test tool?

Reply to
Mike Power

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.