Auto Speed Monitoring

Hi,

Anybody ever rig up a radar gun or speed detection product in front of their house? It would be really cool if you could hook up a wireless rig to your computer. Let it run a few days and then email the results to your local police.

The cops love to catch somebody going 85 in a 65 on a 4 lane highway where no pedestrians are at risk but in the 15 years I've lived on my

35mph road I've never seen a speed trap and some of the cars/cycles blow by 60+.

I've thought of spacing a few motion sensors but I don't think they're accurate enough.

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever played with this.

Reply to
ZRexRider
Loading thread data ...

There's already a better idea - radar actuated speed cameras and red light cameras. Your City can contract with a private company to install them at no cost to the City.

They take a picture of the license plate and the owner of the vehicle is automatically assessed a "civil penalty" for violations (so there's no need for evidence as to who was actually driving). The revenue collected is split between the company and the City, with the company getting about 2/3 and the City 1/3. Any dispute by a vehicle owner over the issue is impartially arbitrated by an employee of the company. The cameras are placed by the company with traffic safety as the primary consideration - typically on streets with unusually low speed limits for conditions and at intersections where it's difficult to stop before the amber traffic signal turns red.

It sounds like your street would be a prime candidate for one of these speed cameras. Talk it up with your City officials. (Maybe you can get the contract.)

-dweeb

Reply to
Dweeb

In several communities around San Diego, I've seen (usually solar-powered) automated radar-gun signs that show you precisely how fast you are going, placed right next to a speed limit sign.

I'm not sure how effective they are.

Is this a hobby project for you? Or are you hoping to give the police enough ammunition to come and set up a periodic radar patrol?

Reply to
NoSuchPerson

Here's a easy solution: call the local police department and suggest they post a radar unit on your street. They are usually anxious to hear from concerned citizens.

If you don't get a positive response, try your Councilman. Go to City Hall with your check book and tell him you'll donate to his next campaign if the cops post a cruiser on your block in the next two days. Use their greed to your benefit.

And regarding a private company sending me a ticket - forget it. A ticket is a legal document (a notice to appear) that has to be given by a court (or member of that court).

Reply to
yustr

impartially arbitrated by an

Moo, ring; Moo, ring.....sound of Cash Cow. :)

Reply to
Cosmopolite

You don't get a "ticket" as you've described. You get a bill. If not paid they send a bill collector to harass you and file a notice with credit reporting agencies. And the MVB won't re-register your vehicle until it's paid.

In my state the scheme was approved by the state legislature and declared legal in a court case. Look for it to become popular in most states. Hey, aren't we all in favor of SAFETY. :-)

I understand this type of thing is common in parts of Europe.

-dweeb

Reply to
Dweeb

You're right they were all over Germany when I lived there. But they were always managed by the local Polizi.

Here, I can see people defacing them as soon as they are errected. A little spray paint and ... oops no image. And since they belong to a private company it's just vandalism not intereferring with the Police...

What's next? Private citizens reporting speeders for bounty? What's the difference? Proof? This thread started with ZRex asking about a radar gun and computer link. How about this for a money making idea: develop ZRex's device and market it to anyone who wants to go into the business of catching speeders. Just think. There could be dozens of these on every street. Wouldn't that be grand!

Really bad idea.

Reply to
yustr

Both hobby and informative information to back up my concerns. Local cops in Pennsylvania can't use radar so about all they could do is sit in my driveway and scare a few people.

Maybe I'm just turning into a geezer with nothing better to do (48). I remember when I was a kid the old guys were always bitching about speeders! Next thing you know I'll be chasing kids out of my yard...... help!

Reply to
ZRexRider

Yeah yustr - in a way it is a bad idea. I'd hate to see 100% enforcement and it sure isn't the responsibility of the citizens to monitor. I wasn't thinking of bounty and there is no need for "proof" cuz nobody is getting busted.... however if a cop sets up based on my "informed request" and you go flying by my house - tough crap

Nobody would go through all this trouble unless they thought there was a problem. Thought never entered my mind until some punk went flying by on a motorcycle at 80+ in a 35!!

Reply to
ZRexRider

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.